Friday, October 17, 2008

Suze Orman: Hall of Idiots?


I've elected Jim Cramer and Richard Kiyosaki into the Hall of Idiots over the past few years primarily because they promote behavior and give advice that is either foolish or self-serving. The Wall Street Journal did an article today about Suze Orman and how this financial panic is making her more of a star than ever. I can't stand watching or listening to Suze Orman, it drives me up the wall and batty. I think the most annoying sound in the world is Suze Orman saying "girlfriend". The article featured a couple people complaining about Suze, mainly advisors who said she was a fear monger (to be fair, a few things she has said I think could be considered just that) and profited unduly from her celebrity by doing endorsement deals.

I think this is all just professional jealousy. Lord knows Suze bugs me, but she is no idiot. Her books are great and have helped a lot of people. There generally gives good advice and her books are probably the best way a financial neophyte (even Men, not just Woman) should begin to learn about personal finances.

I won't be watching Suze or listening to her on the radio........but I also won't be adding her to my Hall of Idiots, she doesn't deserve that, she's done to much good.

Scott Dauenhauer CFP, MSFP, AIF